Yankees shortstop plans to retire, leaves legacy

Derek Jeter throws out Nick Markakis with his classic jump-throw. Jeter has been the New York Yankees everyday shortstop for the last 19 seasons. He will be retiring at the end of 2014. Photo Credit: MCT Direct
Derek Jeter throws out Nick Markakis with his classic jump-throw. Jeter has been the New York Yankees everyday shortstop for the last 19 seasons. He will be retiring at the end of 2014.
Photo courtesy of MCT Direct.

On Wednesday, Feb. 12, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter announced that the 2014 season would be his last. On his Facebook page he wrote,

“I know it in my heart. The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball,” Jeter posted in a long letter.

“I have gotten the very most out of my life playing baseball, and I have absolutely no regrets.”

While the Yankees have always been known as the most villainous team in baseball, with players such as Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Jason Giambi, and others, Jeter is one of the exceptions, having always been known as a class act on and off the field.

“It is sad to see a player like Jeter have to retire. I have always admired him on the field as well as off it,” said Kaleb Riesenberg, 9.

Jeter’s retirement will end the “core four” era in New York that included catcher Jorge Posada and pitchers Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera.

• 13 time all-star
  • 5 time World Series champion
  • 2000 World Series MVP
  • 1996 Rookie of the Year
  • 5 time Silver Slugger
  • 5 time Gold Glove

Fittingly, Jeter’s career will conclude against Boston against the rival Red Sox. In Boston, ticket prices for Jeter’s final game in Boston have risen from $300 to over $1150. In New York, diamond seats are selling upwards of $4000. That ticket information is here.