Fresh faces get voted on for Student Council

The students got to vote at lunch on scan-trons this year as opposed to during English class like last year. “It’s nice that it was voluntary for kids to vote because then it was only people who actually care about the results,” said Madeleine Driscoll, 10.  Photo Courtesy of Elizabeth Rickert
The students got to vote at lunch on scan-trons this year as opposed to during English class like last year. “It’s nice that it was voluntary for kids to vote because then it was only people who actually care about the results,” said Madeleine Driscoll, 10. Photo Courtesy of Elizabeth Rickert

Annually Student Council has elections for their new members. This year it has been different however. It is different because many more people are running for example there are 14 juniors running, 12 sophomores, and 14 freshman for eight spots.

“It was very nerve wracking but it’s also fun to be running,” said Grace Hertleine, 11.

This is quite an accomplishment considering there has been many changes in the process for elections. For example, one must now get a teacher to hand in a recommendation sheet and a principal must sign off saying that the student is worthy.

The recommendation sheet consists of five character traits that the teacher must give a one to ten standard on whether or not the student has this trait. The principal signs off on saying if the student has an above D average and if they have a good behavior record.
These changes were brought about by the new advisors, Mrs. Kathryn Korchok and Mrs. Emily Conatser.

Voting has also been changed as well. Now, students can have eight votes and they vote at lunch. This was done so that only students who care about the outcome vote and they get to choose the whole group of people that represent them.

“I think that elections are awesome but it’s really stressful when a lot of your friends are running,” said Maggie Pusstinger, 10.