Flyerettes: Saying Goodbye

The Flyerettes are preparing to compete with their hip-hop dance at OHSAA Regional Competition at Springboro High. They did not make it to state but continued performing at basketball games.  On March 27 the team will gather one last time to reminisce on the past season. Photo courtesy of Ashley McNamara.
The Flyerettes are preparing to compete with their hip-hop dance at OHSAA Regional Competition at Springboro High. They did not make it to state but continued performing at basketball games. On March 27 the team will gather one last time to reminisce on the past season. Photo courtesy of Ashley McNamara.

After nine months of conditioning, practice, games and competition, SHS’ dance team is seeing their season come to an end. The team will meet with their families on Thurs. at Good Shepard Church to:

• Have a potluck dinner and dessert
  • Recap the season
  • Give awards
  • Present videos by the seniors and for the seniors
  • Bring a year in review video home
  • Bring in a new coach
  • Receive Varsity letters

The awards handed out are:

• Most improved
  • Best attitude
  • 110%
  • Overall Outstanding
  • Most Spirited

“It is always nice to look back and award everyone for their hard work. We [the underclassmen] are not done, we have recruiting and tryouts. For us it starts all over again,” said Calista Robbins, 10.

The banquet is replacing the Winter Sports Awards.  While it is the end of the season it is the beginning for Brittany Grecco, who is replacing her sister Ashley McNamara as the head coach.

“The banquet this year will be different because 12 of us are leaving instead we will be making and receiving videos one last time,” said Rupali Jain, 12.

Kenzie Wall will still be the assistant coach, if her teaching job allows.

“I decided to step down because I just had a baby and I still work, it became too much,” said Ashley McNamara, former head coach.

“She is my sister so I will still be around but having most of the responsibility for the team was hectic. I still love this team and the girls,” said McNamara.

Seniors will say goodbye to coaches and teammates but for the underclassman it is just the beginning.