Unofficial gardening club plants seeds

Environmentally minded SHS students are having a good week. Along with the exciting installment of new compost and recycling system, Garden Club will also meet for their April 23, Annual Seed Planting Day.

seeds
All students are invited to join Garden Club in planting vegetable seeds on April 23. The vegetables will eventually be donated to the Blue Ash Cancer Support Center to be used in their cooking classes. Anyone interested should meet in the circle drive entrance after school on Wednesday. Photo Courtesy of Lila Englander.

“Everyone loves looking at flora in spring, and it’s really cool to think that your hard work made that happen. For that reason, I would encourage anyone who loves nature and pretty things to come plant seeds,” said Alexis Corcoran, 12.

Although Garden Club has not been officially recognized by the SHS administration, it is now in its second year.

Last summer, club participants managed the Blue Ash Elementary garden. One of the garden beds was allotted to the group to grow their own vegetables, which were donated to the Blue Ash Cancer Support Center.

“I helped out gardening at Blue Ash last year and it was a fun, easy way to contribute to the community. We also planted some potted herbs at the center for visitors and the monthly cooking class,” said Jessica Hobart, 11.

The Garden Club is now based in a greenhouse conveniently located across from the high school, courtesy of Montgomery City. The produce will continue to be sent to the Cancer Support Center.

“It’s really exciting that we are moving to a bigger space thanks to the generosity of Montgomery City. I hope the new location will lead to more club members and more vegetables,” said Katie Steinberg, 11.

For more information on Garden Club email lila.englander@gmail.com.