Softball strikes out against Mason

The Lady Aves gave a valiant effort against rival school Mason at their latest game. Ultimately, the team lost 0-5, but still held their own for the entire competition.

Hannah Melvin, 12, sprints to second base. Melvin was the only member of the team who got a hit against the tough Mason pitcher. As a senior, she has led the team with both her hitting and her fielding. Photo Courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography

The score was 0-2 for the first five innings. Mason scored one in the sixth, and in the final inning they scored another two after a two-run home run.

The left side of the field was dominant in producing outs. Leading the infield was Senior Kelly Borman who fielded six grounders cleanly.

“Our defense was really strong,” said Borman.

Lead-off hitter Hannah Melvin, 12, was the only member of the team who received a hit against the tough Mason pitcher.

“It took me three tries to actually put the ball in play, but it worked!” said Melvin.

Originally, the game was intended to be played at SHS’ home field. However, due to soggy conditions, the game was moved to Mason, and SHS acted as the home team.

“Being home you always have the advantage because you bat last. That helped because we were down so it really pumped us up at the end, even if it didn’t work out,” said Lydia Sloan, 11.

For more information on GMC statistics, visit GMCsports.com.