Preparing for new season

The Flyerettes recently had tryouts for the 2014-2015 season.  The team members were chosen last week and soon it will be time to start the practices. The girls will be meeting every Tuesday and Thursday over the summer and during the school year.

Later in the summer the team will be going to Miami University on Aug. 2-5 for a dance camp. There they will be learning new dances and tricks. It will help them prepare for the pep rally, basketball games, and competition during the school year.

Carly Lefton 12, Rupali Jain, 12 and Katie Pruitt, 12 during pre-game at a boy’s basketball game. The team lost 12 members due to graduating seniors. The returning members will have to help the new dancers over the summer. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.
Carly Lefton 12, Rupali Jain, 12, and Katie Pruitt, 12, dance during pre-game at a boy’s basketball game. The team lost 12 members due to graduating seniors. The returning members will have to help the new dancers over the summer. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

“Dance camp is my favorite part of the summer training that we do, it strengthens our team bond and helps us start the dances for the season,” said Leah Brod, 11.

The girls who were on the team this past year will have to step up and be leaders to help the new team members. The team will consist of 14 girls, seven who are returning from last year.

Over the summer the team will be preparing for the fall pep rally, where they will perform for the first time. At the pep rally, the girls will dance a jazz routine, which they will work on at practice and at dance camp.