In the heat of debates

A typical classroom set up for debates.  The affirmative usually on the left side and the negative sits on the right side.  The two teams debating always face each other.  As the people debating they stand at the podium. Photo taken by Jordan Baker
A typical classroom set up for debates. The affirmative usually on the left side and the negative sits on the right side. The two teams debating always face each other. As the people debating they stand at the podium. Photo taken by Jordan Baker.

On Monday, May 19, the day of sophomore debates, a group member will have to flip a coin. This will determine whether a team will be affirmative or negative.  Within the groups they already have two people work on the affirmative and two people work on the negative.

“I got to write a constructive speech for the affirmative and I think year round schooling work for the district,” said Max Brown, 10.

There are multiple rounds for the debates themselves.  It starts with the class debates then the school debates and ends with the All-star debates. At the very end there will be the finals and then an ice cream social.

“The rebuttal is more nerve racking than doing the constructive speeches,” said Jo’van Cobs, 10.

Debates have been going on across the sophomore class during the English bells. A simple coin flip tells the two teams that are debating that day whether they are debating for the positive which is stay that the district should move to a year round schooling.  For the negative they will debate for keeping the district to keep the traditional agrarian calendar or the system we have now.

Coming up this Friday the 23th will be the start of voting people to go the all-star team.  There is a class all-star and two sophomore all-star.  The sophomore team can come from any class.

“It would be very exciting to be on the all-star team,” said Alex Schneider, 10.