Girls cross country plans for summer

Alexis Rile, 10, runs in the annual Sunset Invitational at SHS. She plans to return this fall to run on the team. For the past three seasons of SHS cross country, Steve Nester coached the girls’ team. As he steps down, Mr. Rick Shomo and Mr. Greg Pottebaum will assume the position.  Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography
Alexis Rile, 10, runs in the annual Sunset Invitational at SHS. She plans to return this fall to run on the team. For the past three seasons of SHS cross country, Steve Nester coached the girls’ team. As he steps down, Mr. Rick Shomo and Mr. Greg Pottebaum will assume the position.
Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography

As soon as summer vacation starts, the girls cross country team will begin conditioning to prepare for the fall season.

Coach Steve Nester does not plan to coach the team again this year, so Mr. Rick Shomo, junior high teacher, and Mr. Greg Pottebaum, math teacher, will take over as coaches.

The two new coaches met with the girls after school on May 20 to discuss plans for the upcoming season.

“I ran for Shomo in junior high so I’m super excited to have him again for my last high school cross country season,” said Abby Miller, 11.

Shomo told the girls he wants to focus on strengthening and forming a solid base in the summer to prevent any injuries later in the regular season.

“I know that Coach Shomo and Coach Pottebaum are regular runners so it will be fun to have them run workouts with us,” said Jessica Hobart, 11.

Summer practices will begin on June 9 and regular practices will begin on Aug. 1.

“Cross country has been one of my favorite high school experiences and I think this will be a great final season,” said Miller.