Twins tear up volleyball court

Julia Cole, 12, prepares to block at the net. She and her twin, Laura, play on opposite sides of the court: Julia’s main role is a left side hitter, while Laura normally plays as a right side hitter. As it is the last year in their high school career, they push their team toward the ultimate goal of winning the State Championship. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography
Julia Cole, 12, prepares to block at the net. She and her twin, Laura Cole, play on opposite sides of the court: Julia’s main role is a left side hitter, while Laura normally plays as a right side hitter. As it is the last year in their high school career, they push their team toward the ultimate goal of winning the State Championship. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

When looking at the lineup on the women’s Varsity volleyball court, it is hard not to notice the two six-feet-tall left and right side hitters with the same last name on their backs.

Julia and Laura Cole, 12, have been playing volleyball since the first grade, beginning with recreational volleyball, and then moving onto club and finally school volleyball. Through all the years, they have never been separated.

“My sister and I are basically best friends, and we can read each other really well on the court. I can tell when Laura is upset, and she can tell the same about me,” said Julia. “We know how to lift each other up, and when either of us plays really well, we are happy for each other.”

The twins comprise two of the four starting seniors, the other two being Julia Henkel, middle hitter, and Kara Marth, libero. The group may be small, they have not neglected to understand their duties.

“I think our role as seniors is very important because our responsibility is the communication and leadership of our team,” said Julia. “I feel more confident, now that I am a senior, but I don’t think about the ‘being a senior’ fact as much. I don’t feel as if I am above anyone on our team.”

As far as the team goes, the Varsity volleyball players have sustained a 12-3 record (as of Sept. 25). Both of the sisters have high regard for their fellow teammates.

“I think we’ve come very far. Each person on our team has improved, and I think we work better as a team than we have since I’ve been here,” said Laura.