‘Play on!’: Aves Theatre to bring Twelfth Night to life

Twelfth Night is considered a classic among Shakespeare lovers. A modern version, She’s the Man, was recently produced in the cinema world closely based on Shakespeare’s writings. Aves Theatre will be creating their own version of the play in regards to the scenery. “We have updated the setting so that is really enjoyable. There will be tons of music and crazy costumes, along with a lot of Shakespeare; all are great,” said Ms. Sarah Garvey, Aves Theatre director. Photo courtesy of altavista.com
Twelfth Night is considered a classic among Shakespeare lovers. A modern version, “She’s the Man”, was recently produced in the cinema world closely based on Shakespeare’s writings. Aves Theatre will be creating their own version of the play in regards to the scenery. “We have updated the setting so that is really enjoyable. There will be tons of music and crazy costumes, along with a lot of Shakespeare; all are great,” said Ms. Sarah Garvey, Aves Theatre director. Photo courtesy of altavista.com

As fall colors leaves and darkens mornings, the development of the stage has also been brewing. The month’s anticipated theater event belongs to the play class and their production of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night”.

The show is centered around the life of lively aristocratic Viola, who assumes the identity of her brother to find work.

In the duration of her work life, she falls in love with her employer, Orsino, who is seeking the love of Lady Olivia, who falls head-over-heels for the disguised Viola.

“I am most excited about playing Cesario , the guy disguise in my role of Viola. It is a sort of character I have never had a chance to be before, so I am interested to see what everyone thinks,” said Emily Callaway, 12.

Among the relationship confusion is a long list of interweaving, hilarious characters all seeking their own ends. In this complex comedy, it is not only the plot that is confusing.

“Preparing for Shakespeare is a lot more difficult than a regular play. There is a lot more research involved. We need to make sure we know what certain words and phrases mean,” said Callaway.

“Also, memorization is incredibly hard because the language is not what we are used to. The process is so long, but it will definitely be worth it in the end.”

As for the directors, the play will find Ms. Sarah Garvey extremely pleased- Shakespeare is her favorite type of theater to study and produce.

“I think that Shakespeare tells a story in a way that is rarely experienced. Understanding Shakespeare helps us understand all kinds of theater and different areas of English as well,” said Garvey.

“I think it is a really valuable adventure for us as actors, and I really want to expose the audience of SHS to Shakespeare as well.”

The play will be performed Nov. 14-16.

“It’s a play about mistaken identities and love triangles- who doesn’t love that?” said Garvey.