Sports awards conclude season for JV, Varsity B tennis teams

Ajay Qi, 10, drives a backhand. Qi played for multiple positions, even playing matches for the Varsity A team. Nick Hershey, 12, readies himself for a volley at the net. Photo courtesy of aves10s.net.

Tennis sports awards have always been a time of good spirits and satisfaction – a time to look back on the unique memories and triumphs of the season.

“I always look forward to sports awards. Superlatives are always hilarious and we get to dress nicely, so it’s a bonus,” said Shyam Parikh, 12.

The two teams completed the 2014 season with winning records, and Coaches Classic and Sycamore Cup first-place titles.

Superlatives such as “most likely to be left in a foreign country,” and “most likely to arrive at a tennis match without shoes, pants, jersey, or tennis racket,” were printed on tennis balls and given to the players.

Furthermore, more serious awards were also given. Rohan D’Souza, 10, and Jonathan Jih, 12, were given the Coach’s Awards for JV and Varsity B respectively.

Varsity B seniors were then recognized with applause, as the six of them would not be returning next year.

“Tennis is definitely one of the things that is at the top of the list of things I will miss about Sycamore. It’s been a solid six years,” said Nimit Desai, 12.

Hugs accompanied hand clasps as the athletes acknowledged a bittersweet but triumphant end to their season.

“It’s been a better season than we could have asked for.These boys really have excellent character on the court on and off, and its been a privilege to coach them,” said Coach Tanya Holland.

For more information, go to the SHS tennis website or shsleaf.com.