Deciding on future plans too early

graduation
Having kids decide their futures when they are still considered immature is backfiring for many families. Students change majors in school, costing their families more money in order to finish their majors. Image courtesy of MCT Campus.

The fact that students have to decide what they want to do for the rest of their life so young has always and continues to be, confusing.

As a teenager, we are stuck between the transition from childhood to adulthood.  In this ‘state,’ we are constantly reminded that we are too old for some things and yet too young for others.  But are we old enough to choose a career path?

Every day we seem to get asked where we are going to school, what we are going to study, what we want to be when we’re older. And now these seemingly harmless questions carry more weight with them as juniors become next year’s seniors.

“It’s intimidating to think about college, and career, and essentially life when we’re still kids,” said Hannah Brown, 11.

At the age of 16 and 17, we are still kids and yet are expected to have our whole life planned out.  Not only is it unrealistic, but it does not really work.

According to a study done by Penn State, 75 percent of the students that declare their major upon entering college end up changing it.

“It doesn’t really surprise me that people change their majors in college so often.  When you enter college you may like one area of study, but in college you broaden your horizons and are exposed to more things and your interests can definitely change,” said Brown.