Preparing to play at Pancake Day

Patrons prepare to enjoy pancakes at the 2014 Pancake Day. Last year more than 2,200 people were fed with over 170 gallons of pancake batter and 26 gallons of syrup. A $6 includes pancakes, sausage, and a beverage as well as seconds. Photo courtesy of McDaniels Photography.

Breakfast foods, music, and art shows have made themselves a staple of SHS music students’ springs since fifth grade. All these come together in Sycamore Band and Orchestra Booster’s annual Pancake Day.

“It’s like a tradition now, I’m not even in band or orchestra but I still go every year just to experience it,” freshman Yasmine Guedira said.

The 53rd Pancake Day will take place on Sat. March 2 from 8:00 am- 2:00 pm in the commons and gym.

The high school orchestra will perform at 2:00 pm and the high school level bands will perform throughout the day with the Wind Symphony at 9:30 am, Symphonic Band at noon, and Sycamore Winds at 1:30 pm.

“I’m glad [orchestra] will be playing later this year so we won’t have to wake up too early and we’ll all be more awake, but everyone will have left by then and no one eats pancakes for lunch,” freshman Thea Ferdinand said.

The instrumental groups at SHS have been hard at work selling tickets ($6 each, will also be available at the door), practicing, and collecting items for raffle baskets.

“It’s fun to hang out around even after we’re done playing because the pancakes are good and going on,” sophomore Varun Kalaiarasan said.

Pancakes, sausage, and beverages will be served throughout the entire event and the art show will be available in the gym as well. The art show displays work from all grade levels, from pinch pots to photography.