Sycamore sponsors spirit

Homecoming inspires school spirit in the student body

McDaniel's Photography

Homecoming court walks in the parade. Seniors Gabriele Kaiser and Gary Traub hand out candy to the crowd. Moving the parade to Friday instead of Thursday is just one of the initiatives to increase school spirit.

School spirit has been struggling for too long. Student Council and the high school administration is working hard to make this homecoming the most spirited it’s seen in years.

Executive President Max Weiss said, “We’ve been working on homecoming since the first day of school. Student Council is very hopeful that all of this effort pays off.”

The fun begins with spirit week. Monday’s tie-dye day, Tuesday’s twin day, and Wednesday’s college day were true successes. On these days, lunch competitions also occurred. Winners received various prizes including free homecoming tickets and out to lunch passes.

Student Council junior Matthew Miller said, “We are selling spirit chains as a fundraiser for Operation Give Back the winning class will have Kona Ice come. The winner of the overall spirit competition gets a hot dog cookout from Mr. Doug Mader. The overall competition takes into account spirit day participation, spirit chains, pep rally games, and more.”  

Friday is a packed full day. It involves the pep rally, parade, tailgate, and homecoming game. The pep rally will be directly after seventh bell. There will be an altered schedule to accommodate this.

The parade begins at 4:15 pm at Shelley Drive. Participants must arrive at 3:45 with their vehicles and candy. The parade will end at the junior high parking lot close to 4:45 pm where the tailgate will begin.

Q102 will be DJing the music through Brian and Laura and Buffalo Wild Wings is providing the food. Tickets cost $4 presale, tickets will be sold Wed-Fri at lunch, and $5 at the door. The tailgate will be in the north end zone. There is also going to be a raffle sponsored by many local businesses.

Tailgate committee member Audrey Debrov said, “We’re working hard to have a fun tailgate with some great attendance. Student Council is trying to pull in the local community for all of the events.”  

The game against Princeton is to follow. The Ave Cave theme is neon allowing for a bright student section. During half time, winners from homecoming court winners will be announced. Also during half time is band night, bands from fifth grade up will perform.

The next day is the dance. Tickets are sold from Wed Oct 1 to Fri Oct 3 during lunch as well as Fri morning. They are $15 each. Fee forms are required by all students and guest forms are required by students who have dates from another school.

The dance begins at 8:30, doors close at 9:30, and the dance ends at 11:30.