• HS Graduation May 19, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

• Last Day of School, May 23

• AP Exams May 6-10 and 13-17

Filed under Feature

Star Wars and moles

‘May the MOLES be with you’

Star Wars and moles

Here are some jokes to celebrate Mole Day.   Chemistry students enjoyed the puns that added humor and interest to the holiday.  This year's Mole Day slogan,

Here are some jokes to celebrate Mole Day. Chemistry students enjoyed the puns that added humor and interest to the holiday. This year's Mole Day slogan, "May the MOLES Be With You," is also a play on words.

Harsimran Makkad

Harsimran Makkad

Harsimran Makkad

Chemistry students celebrated the annual Mole Day, occurring on Oct. 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m. It fell during National Chemistry Week, an event that communicates the importance of chemistry in everyday life.
Despite the common belief of youngsters, the “holiday” has nothing to do with the cute little mammals that burrow in the dirt. Instead, it commemorates Avagadro’s number: 6.022×10^23. This number, also known as the mole, is a base measuring unit in chemistry.
Chemistry teacher Mrs. Margaret Stone told her students, “A mole is just a unit of measure, a word that means a number. When I say ‘a dozen,’ you know I’m talking about 12 of something. Same thing with a mole.”
The mole is attributed to 18th century Italian scientist Lorenzo Romano Amedeo Carlo Avogadro di Queregna e di Cerreto, more commonly known as Amedeo Avogadro.
Stone said, “In 1811, Avagadro proposed a law stating that an equal volume of gasses at the same temperature and pressure has the same number of molecules.”
“But, his findings were ignored for about 100 years until French chemist Jean Baptiste Perrin proposed that the quantity of molecules be called ‘Avagadro’s Constant.’”
Mole Day was created to foster interest in chemistry, beginning in 1991; the National Mole Day Foundation encourages schools across the United States and around the globe to celebrate Mole Day with chemistry and mole projects and activities.
Each year, there is a different theme, ranging from The Mole, the Merrier in 1991 to Mole-o-ween in 2014.
Sophomore Melinda Looney-Ho said, “This year’s theme was based off of Star Wars, May the MOLES Be With You.”

• Star Wars and moles

Romanian project promotes global connection

• Star Wars and moles

Top Summer Restaurants

• Star Wars and moles

Adaptive PE closes out the school year

• Star Wars and moles

Hitting into the Major League

• Star Wars and moles

Last Minute Mother’s Day

• Star Wars and moles

Fourth graders write

• Star Wars and moles

Gov. DeWine pays visit to SHS

• Star Wars and moles

Science fair season culminates in international qualification

• Star Wars and moles

Conservation reaches SHS

• Star Wars and moles

SHS celebrates stellar ACT scores

Star Wars and moles