• Sophomore class parent meeting Sept. 26 6:30 p.m.

• Band Night Sept. 21 7:00 p.m.

• No school Sept. 28

• Fall Conferences 3:00 pm-8:00 pm Oct. 4

Filed under Feature

TV affects brain, body

Television is a very popular pass time. Now, Netflix is becoming more and more popular.  This influx can cause many issues.

Caroline Bruns

Television is a very popular pass time. Now, Netflix is becoming more and more popular. This influx can cause many issues.

A Netflix survey published last December found that 61 percent of about 1,500 online respondents say that they binge-watch TV regularly (which was defined as watching between two and six episodes of the same TV show in one sitting).

It also found that three out of four members who streamed the first season of Breaking Bad finished all seven episodes in one session.

Five hours in front of the TV can wear you out and make you feel sluggish because lounging slows blood circulation and your metabolism. Although some shows may leave you sluggish, if you are watching a complex show it can be stimulating cognitively and emotionally.

Junior Claire Hallock said, “ Sometimes after watching TV I feel really tired, even though all I’ve Been doing is sitting on the couch or laying in my bed.”

TV can make you feel good or bad after watching, and there is a good reason for that. If something positive happens in a show, the excitement from the show can carry over into your real life and make the experience more intense.

Cliffhangers can also leave us in a heightened state of arousal and excitement.

Although many shows can make your mood lighter, or can make you feel excited, other shows on television can also leave you in a state of sadness or despair.

Freshman Peyton Gilhart said, “After watching the season finale of How I Met Your Mother, I was super upset. I stayed that way for a few days because the ending was so shocking. I was so emotionally invested in the show and the ending was really disappointing.”

Many sitcoms do not have cliffhangers and just end. Your emotional state at the end of a show is also affected by how you felt when you were watching.

TV is also used as an escape their anxieties by watching television had an increased risk of having insomnia, especially if the show ends in a conflict or has an unresolved conflict.

Not only does watching TV affect your body, but it also affects your brain.

MRI brain scans showed children who spent the most hours in front of the box had greater amounts of grey matter in regions around the frontopolar cortex – the area at the front of the frontal lobe.

These scans showed children who spent the most hours in front of the box had greater amounts of grey matter in regions around the frontopolar cortex – the area at the front of the frontal lobe. These areas show developmental cortical thinning during development, and children with superior IQs show the most vigorous cortical thinning in this area.

During the first few years of a child’s life it is necessary to stimulate the children’s brain and allow them to develop their minds and think for themselves, rather than sitting in front of the TV.

• TV affects brain, body

Adaptive PE students prove everyone can bowl

• TV affects brain, body

Order your 2019 yearbook

• TV affects brain, body

Fashion for the Cure prepares for event

• TV affects brain, body

Remembering 9/11

• TV affects brain, body

Businesses and consumers rethink plastic straws

• TV affects brain, body

Students say ‘farewell’ to college-bound siblings

• TV affects brain, body

SBOB marches toward Tag Day

• TV affects brain, body

Welcome back!

• TV affects brain, body

AP Lang students flip the last page

• TV affects brain, body

Skyline includes diverse range of staff members

TV affects brain, body