Is the “Lord of the Flies” still the Lord?

MCT

Lord of the Flies was originally ignored upon its first publication. Soon it became what it is today: a classic work of literature. This critically acclaimed book sparks debates on human nature.

Do you ever wonder if your class read is worthwhile? Are classics meant to remain important forever or have they lost their audience?
“Lord of the Flies” was published in 1954 by William Golding. It is considered a dystopian classic.
Does it relate to the issues today? How does this book still have more value than other books that show leadership?
Mrs. Emily Sweeney, 9th grade English Accelerated and World Comparative Literature teacher, said, “‘Lord of the Flies’ is a fascinating way of telling a story. It forces people to think of their own humanity and how literature works.”
Golding sparks several debates on human nature and as English teachers instruct, looking for leadership qualities that are woven through the book.
TPA teacher Ms. Jody Googins said, “I love ‘Lord of the Flies,’ it shows the underbelly of human nature if it is left to its own devices and unchecked. This is a book that should be read universally.”
“Lord of the Flies” was originally the sophomore class read, then it was given to the freshman to read. All freshmen read the book as the first class read for one to two years, then it became the freshman accelerated read.
Sweeney said, “As the first approach of leadership for freshman into a four year career and on this book teaches them valuable life lessons.”
However, senior Emma Galyon said, “I didn’t like this book because it is very gruesome and was not something I would have taught kids about. It is too savage and inappropriate for a classroom setting.”
English teachers’ focus with “Lord of the Flies” is to see examples of leadership. Galyon said, “The book contains life lessons, but they are shadowed by the intense situations, and the lessons are taken to an extreme.”