Q&A with Anita Pan about Relay For Life

Sydney Evans

More stories from Sydney Evans

In Theaters
May 21, 2018
Last year at Relay For Life, students set up tarps and made camps for themselves and their team as a place to relax when they weren’t walking. Students would alternate in who walked around the track on their team and if they were not walking the often participated in activities around the track. The Dragonfly Foundation was there and students got to donate their hair for cancer victims.

McDaniels Photography

Q: How long have you been a participant of Relay for Life?
A: This year will be my second year.

Q: Why do you participate in RFL?
A: I participate in RFL to benefit those who have been affected by cancer and their families. Relay also brings the community together, especially different schools, and I enjoy that feeling of togetherness.

Q: RFL is having Olympic game this year, what exactly does this entail?
A: The Olympic games are just a way for relay teams to have some friendly competition. While there is a prize for the winning team, the Games itself raises awareness for cancer and as I said before, unites the community.

Q: Which country will you be representing ?
A: My team and I will be representing Pakistan.

Q: How else do you plan to help raise money for cancer?
A: I do not raise money for cancer through other organizations besides Relay, but I do raise awareness and educate other on the effects of cancer and how to help. I do that through my church, friends, and family, and I learn a lot through my time volunteering at hospitals and nursing homes.