Small acts make large difference

Volunteering is a way for students to give back in their community and learn to work with others. At sycamore there are many volunteering organizations like Unified for Uganda, and Little dropping. To learn more about volunteer opportunities you can follow National Honor Society’s Twitter account.

MCT Photo

There are many different opportunities for students to get involved and create their own path at SHS. Some students play sports, join clubs, or play an instrument.
However, there are many ways for students to get involved outside of school based extracurriculars. Senior Danielle Pratt is involved in being an active member of her Church and is the president of her 16 and 17-year-old class.
“I’m in charge of planning weekly activities, conducting a meeting, and making sure everything is running smoothly,” Pratt said.
Every morning before school, Pratt goes to morning religious classes in order to study her beliefs.
“I have learned the importance of service and have found it amazing how doing something so small can have such a huge impact on someone’s life,” Pratt said.
Over her high school years, Pratt has gone on multiple service trips with her church. Her favorite memory is when they give out Halloween costumes to children in homeless shelters.
They also put on a Halloween party and invite the kids to participate in face painting and give out gift bags.
“A lot of [the kids] come in really shy but leave with a huge smile once they find what they want. One year we gave out Sesame Street costumes and the kids loved them” Pratt said.
After high school, Pratt hopes to go on a full-time mission trip through her church in order to connect with others around the world and make a positive difference in other’s lives. Through her church, she has the chance to go to another country for 18 months in order to share her beliefs and service with more people.