Tea time

Tea Club starts brewing

TAKE A DRINK. Students and teachers alike experience two teas and a variety of baked goods. Every meeting features homemade food, for example, apple cake and scones with jam in the last meeting of the 2016-2017 school year. Instead of paying fees for a meeting, one (often teachers) can bring food for everyone instead. Photo courtesy of Umang Joshi.

There are some clubs that are largely ubiquitous in schools across the country. Yet, there are also some that are entirely unique. Tea Club, embarking on its first full year, is one of those activities.

Tea Club is having an informational session after school on Tues. Sept. 12 in chemistry teacher Mr. Michael Geyer’s room 233. At the meeting, club presidents Jenna Bao and Gregory Rivin, seniors, and secretary Imani Joshi, sophomore, will introduce the purpose of the club.

“It’s a great club that allows people to interact with others, sample different types of teas from around the world and experience the cultures that are intertwined with those teas,” Rivin said.  

Monthly meetings will take place on Mondays. Each meeting will feature a presentation on some aspect of tea culture (such as common errors in preparation), tea tasting, and baked goods.

The info session will cover logistical necessities before tasting can begin. In order to consume anything with the club, students must bring in permission slips.

Participants must also pay dues: one can make the choice between $2 per meeting or $15 for the year. This price covers the cost of purchasing teas and utensils. Teachers who choose to participate often opt to bring in food instead of paying the fee.

“People should join because it’s a pretty awesome club where you can drink tea and do whatever you want,” Joshi sad.

The first official meeting that will contain the usual elements will take place Mon. Sept. 18.

“Going to Tea Club is tea-rrific idea. [My brother] Umang had a passion for tea that some others shared, and he wanted to talk to them about it, so he created a club. He wanted to show everyone how cool tea can be,” Joshi said.