Musicians bring marching into the classroom

Hannah Lee

PEP SONGS POP. Pep band songs are in a flip folder like this in order to be attached to instruments and keeping the music clean and kept in place. Pep songs consist of many popular hit songs such as “Thriller.” “‘Stairway to Heaven’ is my favorite pep band song,” said Jacob Isakson, 9.

Marching band is an extracurricular activity that is not required to take concert band in school, but many concert players join the marching band.

In addition to working on the piece “Libra,” which the marching band plays in competitions and halftimes at football games, it also plays in the stands during football games as pep band.

On Marching Band Mondays, concert band does not rehearse like usual days but plays pep band songs or watch a recording of the past marching band competition in class to critique and look over.

The first competition was at Kings High School on Sat., Sept. 9. The marching band received Reserve Grand Champion overall as well as Best Overall Percussion and Best Overall Music. The class watched a video and listened to a few judges’ commentaries on the performance.

Before the first competition, the band has only been playing pep band songs on Marching Band Mondays. Some songs are “Heartbreaker,” the “Alma Mater,” “Staircase to Heaven,” and “The Star Spangled Banner,” which the pep band plays at home games.

“Pep band music is really joyous and fun to play,” said Mayu Fukada, 10.

Marching Band Mondays are not an ancient tradition in the band program but something Mr. James Blankenship began a few years ago when he joined the Sycamore family as the high school band director.

“I think it’s a good way for the students that don’t participate in band to play the music,” Fukada said.

There are divided opinions from students who are in concert band but are not in marching band. Some find prefer regular rehearsals over Marching Band Mondays while some students enjoy taking a break from rehearsal.

“Marching Band mondays make band fun because we get to play more contemporary music instead of just classical pieces,” said Annette Lee, 11.