• Fashion for the Cure Feb. 15 6:30 p.m.

• Blood Drive Feb 15 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Gregory Center

• Cabaret Feb. 9 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Filed under News, Showcase

Portman makes first appearance with President

A+TAXING+JOB.+Sen.+Rob+Portman+speaks+at+the+2012+Republican+National+Convention+in+Tampa%2C+Florida.+In+support+of+the+recently-passed+tax+reform+bill+for+which+he+voted%2C+Portman+attended+President+Donald+Trump%E2%80%99s+pro-tax-bill+speech+at+the+Sheffer+Corporation+on+Mon.%2C+Feb.+5.+This+was+Portman%E2%80%99s+first+appearance+with+the+President%2C+owing+to+their+turbulent+history.+

A TAXING JOB. Sen. Rob Portman speaks at the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. In support of the recently-passed tax reform bill for which he voted, Portman attended President Donald Trump’s pro-tax-bill speech at the Sheffer Corporation on Mon., Feb. 5. This was Portman’s first appearance with the President, owing to their turbulent history.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

When President Donald Trump spoke at the Sheffer Corporation on Mon., Feb. 5, he was joined by Republican Ohio incumbent senator Rob Portman.

Portman’s announcement of his plan to attend came as a surprise for it was also the announcement of his first appearance with the President; the Senator was absent for all of Trump’s campaign and post-election visits to Ohio.

This lack of attendance was directly foreshadowed on Oct. 8, 2016, when Portman rescinded his support for the then-candidate, citing the lewd comments Trump made regarding non-consensual encounters with women in the now-infamous “Access Hollywood” tape.

A loyal conservative, Portman “votes in line with Trump’s position” 93.5 percent of the time, according to FiveThirtyEight. The last measure they disagreed on was a July 27, 2017 proposition to impose sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea.

On Monday, however, tax cuts brought Trump and Portman together; Portman is indeed a proponent of the tax bill that the President came to Blue Ash in order to promote.

He was, in fact, the one who suggested that Trump hold his event at the Sheffer Corporation, having visited it himself on Jan. 2 when Sheffer announced to its workers the reinvestment that would give them all $1,000 bonuses.

“The historic tax cuts that recently became law are already helping make a difference for middle-class families, creating more jobs, and increasing wages for Ohio workers,” Portman said in his post-visit press release.

Trump and Portman also find common ground in their support for Ohio Republican Senate candidate and incumbent congressman Rep. Jim Renacci. During Trump’s speech, the president acknowledged both Portman and Renacci.

Sources:

• Portman makes first appearance with President

Fashion for the Cure live stream

Students shave heads for awareness, hair donation

Welcome to the future

Relationship between news and Black History Month: the good, the bad, the ugly

Teen-friendly recap of the State of the Union Address

SHS Robotics Team advances to State

No school Feb. 1

No school Jan. 31

No school Jan. 30

Covington Catholic incident creates uncertainty