• No school September 3 - Labor Day

• SBOB Tag Day August 25 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

• Picture day August 21

• 12th grade parent meeting August 20 at 6:30 p.m.

Sojourner Truth

TRAILBLAZER. Truth is regarded as a trailblazer for her early involvement with both abolitionist and women’s rights movements. Although she did not live to see many of the results of her efforts, she did impact the nation immensely. Truth helped contribute to the abolition of slavery, increased racial equality, and the ability of women to vote, while she only lived to see abolition.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Sojourner Truth was an abolitionist and women’s rights activist. She had a famous speech “Ain’t I a Women?” that she delivered at a women’s convention in Ohio 1851.
Truth was born into slavery, but escaped with her daughter in 1826. Since then, she fought for the abolitionist cause and helped recruit black forces to join the Union during the civil war. She also collected food and clothing for black regiments.
Truth was somewhat radical (even in abolitionist spheres) in that she expressed her disappointment in abolitionist organizations who did not advocate for the equality of black women and men. She met with several well-known abolitionists such as Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison.
Truth was an impassioned speaker and strong women’s rights advocate. She was known for being eloquent and using powerful language in her speeches.

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Kara Walker

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

DeRay Mckesson

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Shonda Rhimes

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Josephine Baker

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Sam Cooke

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Quvenzhané Wallis

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Maya Angelou

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Zora Neale Hurston

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Katherine Johnson

• Sojourner Truth

Black History Month

Bayard Rustin

Sojourner Truth