Winter track takes off to state titles

Mike Eagan

LEAP. Senior Meghan DiGiovanna takes on the high jump. DiGiovanna will be the only female winter track athlete from SHS at state competition. “I’m really sad that the girls relay team didn’t get in, so I’m representing the ladies at state this year,” DiGiovanna said.

Through the winter, the hallways become hazardous after school as athletes sprint through for training. All that effort is paying off for a few members of winter track on Sat. March 3 at state competition.

Senior Matthew Isakson, juniors Kevin Landrum and Colin Walker, and sophomore Griffin Miller will run the 4×800. Seniors Asa Hodrick and Maximilian Bruggeman, junior Max Leyendecker, and sophomore Marquell Fisher will run the 4×400. Hodrick, Brueggeman, Fisher, and sophomore Jordan McConnell run the 4×200.

“We are all so excited. Last year we graduated six seniors that were elite runners, and our distance coach retired. This year we want to do well so that we prove to ourselves that we are just as good if not better than our predecessors.

“We are always chasing after the state title, and part of that is everybody having a good day with all personal records,” Isakson said.

As for individual events, Hodrick runs the 60m dash and 200m dash, Landum and Miller run the 800m, McConnell runs 60m hurdles, and senior Meghan DiGiovanna competes in high jump.

“I’m really nervous, but I’ve been wanting to go to state ever since I was a freshman. No matter how I do, I’m going to be happy,” DiGiovanna said.

To qualify for state, a relay team/individual runner must have a top 24 time in the state from the whole indoor season.

The event takes place at SPIRE Institute, an Olympic training facility in Geneva, OH.