• Fashion for the Cure Feb. 15 6:30 p.m.

• Blood Drive Feb 15 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Gregory Center

• Cabaret Feb. 9 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Filed under News, Showcase

SHS Robotics Team advances to State

SHS Robotics Team advances to State

SMILING FOR STATES. The SHS Robotics team pose for a picture at the 2019 Regional First Tech Challenge competition, where they won five awards.

Anupuma Narayana

Anupuma Narayana

Anupuma Narayana

This school year has been quite busy for the SHS Robotics Team, from meetings to competing in the First Tech Challenge regional competition last weekend.

The First Tech Challenge is an international robotics competition where teams of high school students compete using their own designed and programmed robots. Early in the school year, the teams are given a challenge and must create a robot to successfully complete the challenging task, while using only materials stated in the competition manual.

This year’s Tech Challenge Game is called Rover Ruckus with a theme of space mining. The SHS team that tackled this project consists of fourteen students, including seniors Adam Pelberg, Nick McDonough, David Zheng, Michael Bryant, Ben Kleindorfer, and Andrew Schmid, juniors Rohan Mathur, Anupama Narayana and Drew Ripberger, sophomores Noah Pelberg, Aryan Vaidya, Cameron Jones, and freshmen Aditi Datar, Connor Smith, and Justin Lee.

The SHS team started on this project in October, finishing the day before the competition, which took place from Jan. 25 to 26. They dedicated much time and effort into their project, meeting for six to 12 hours a week to design, program, and test.

Finally, their work paid off.

On the last day of the competition, the SHS team came home with two first-place awards in Compass and Innovation and three-second place awards in Control, Think, and Motivation, as well as a qualification to the First Tech Challenge State Championship.

Pelberg started participating in robotics since fourth grade and co-founded the SHS Robotics Club with McDonough during their sophomore year.

“Many of [these] awards go beyond just the robot: they’re for outreach, company partnership, team spirit, and our connection to the engineering community as a whole…I cannot be more proud of what this program has become and what we have accomplished,” Pelberg said.

The team is still meeting to prepare for States next month.

“[Advancing to state] is recognition for all the hard work this year and previous years and an opportunity to compete again and show how great our robot is,” Narayana said.

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Fashion for the Cure live stream

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Students shave heads for awareness, hair donation

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Welcome to the future

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Relationship between news and Black History Month: the good, the bad, the ugly

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Teen-friendly recap of the State of the Union Address

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

No school Feb. 1

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

No school Jan. 31

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

No school Jan. 30

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Covington Catholic incident creates uncertainty

• SHS Robotics Team advances to State

Congressman punished for racist remarks

SHS Robotics Team advances to State