• No school April 19

• No school April 22

• Prom April 27, 8:00 p.m.

Remembering 20 years ago

jwolfe

More stories from Jack Wolfe

Andrew Sulfsted, 10
March 5, 2019
Clinton Beeler, 10
December 10, 2018
kthomas

More stories from Kirsten Thomas

AT&T Stadium
April 19, 2019
The Dr. Pepper Museum
April 19, 2019

April 9, 1999, a tragic tornado struck the community

SYCAMORE+STRONG.+Montgomery+Mayor+Chris+Dobrozsi+addressed+those+in+attendance+at+the+remembrance+event+on+April+9.++The+tragic+tornado+struck+the+community+20+years+ago+on+April+9%2C+1999.+

Remembering 20 years ago

SYCAMORE STRONG. Montgomery Mayor Chris Dobrozsi addressed those in attendance at the remembrance event on April 9.  The tragic tornado struck the community 20 years ago on April 9, 1999.

SYCAMORE STRONG. Montgomery Mayor Chris Dobrozsi addressed those in attendance at the remembrance event on April 9. The tragic tornado struck the community 20 years ago on April 9, 1999.

Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe

20 years after a devastating tornado struck the Sycamore Community, officials, leaders and community members gathered to remember the horrid day and the lives lost.

On April 9, 1999, a tornado tore through parts of the Sycamore Community, leaving four people dead.

Areas of Montgomery and Blue Ash were affected by the tornado, tearing down homes and nature preserves near SHS and other buildings in the area such as Montgomery Community Church.

Many gathered today, April 9 at the SHS Tornado Memorial which is located near the sophomore parking lot, including Montgomery Mayor Chris Dobrozsi and Sycamore Community Schools Superintendent Frank Forsthoefel.

Forsthoefel noted the timing of the tornado and also how the community pulled together to help rebuild and recover.

“Residence became heroes, victims became volunteers, and our community locked arms… as a Sycamore family, despite its tragic consequences, we were blessed that the devastating tornado occurred at 5:30 a.m. and not 7:30 a.m. Our high school campus would have been fully populated at that time, and the after-effects simply, simply unthinkable,” Forsthoefel noted in his speech at the remembrance event.

The community was impacted by this tornado and the loss of life, but a positive impact was also left on the community- how when in need, the community can pull together to recover as one.

“This example is evidence of who we are now… when things get rough, our Sycamore family really steps up and does what’s needed,” Forsthoefel said.

At the end of the remembrance event, the SHS select ensemble, directed by Mr. Ken Holdt, performed a song acapella.

The takeaway of the event was remembering, but also being proud of the community for their strong efforts to recover and helping one another get through the challenge they faced.

Forsthoefel hopes that if a tragic event ever were to strike our community in the future, that we would all come together and respond the same way the community did 20 years ago.

Sources: 

• Remembering 20 years ago

SHS reacts to Notre-Dame fire

• Remembering 20 years ago

Seniors: Fill out survery for the Senior Leaf

• Remembering 20 years ago

Kling attends Coca-Cola Scholars Banquet

• Remembering 20 years ago

New era of fashion

• Remembering 20 years ago

Cincinnati Children’s Museum’s Revisions Overview Cincinnati Children’s Museum

• Remembering 20 years ago

One from 95,000

• Remembering 20 years ago

Lynx Project prepares to perform at SHS

• Remembering 20 years ago

Psychology students take time to be grateful and de-stress

• Remembering 20 years ago

New fossil discovery

• Remembering 20 years ago

Aves Ablaze heads to state

Remembering 20 years ago