Time spent on a job may not be worth it

One+option+for+students+looking+for+a+summer+job+is+to+work+over+the+summer.+Senior+Eva+Brod+worked+at+Camp+Kern+over+the+summer.+Working+long+hours+in+the+summer+still+has+some+of+the+same+cons%2C+but+it+can+also+be+a+rewarding+experience.++

Camp Kern

One option for students looking for a summer job is to work over the summer. Senior Eva Brod worked at Camp Kern over the summer. Working long hours in the summer still has some of the same cons, but it can also be a rewarding experience.

When entering high school, people start reaching the age where they are able to get part-time jobs. But does it get in the way of studies? While balancing time between schoolwork, sports and clubs, there just does not seem to be enough hours in the day.

Students choose to work a part-time job for different reasons. Some want the experience, or to start saving money for college, or they just want to make a bit of money.

Part-time jobs are a great way to learn life skills, especially for the students who do sports and clubs on top of a job. Pros include: learning how to associate with adults, communication, time management skills, and also handling the responsibility of having your own job.

Students could also potentially deal with rude customers and have to learn how to tactfully deal with all sorts of people they come into contact with. This would be important for life in general, especially when working collaboratively.

“I think that having a part time job could be useful,” freshman Yasmine Guedira said. “It could show people how it is to have a job in the real world, but it also keeps school as a top priority.”

There are some cons to having a job, though, one being that students will not have as much time to focus on their studies, or they will not have time to be in extracurricular activities.

“I focus on sports, clubs, and classes instead of working a job,” freshman Shruti Mishra said.

Spending your days after school being involved in many clubs and sports or focusing on studies or practicing an instrument or drawing, rather than committing to a job, may be a better option for you.

Having time to concentrate on hobbies is very important. For extracurricular activities such as theater, it takes time, commitment and practice. In this situation, taking up a job may not be the easiest decision.

Another con of having a job is just the amount of time- spent working. Also, employers have to accommodate for the student’s schedule, which is most likely jam-packed.

Depending on personal preference, students should choose carefully whether the pros outweigh the cons.

“I enjoy my part-time job even though it makes my schedule very busy, I have learned to balance my homework load with extracurriculars with my work schedule,” freshman Jasmine Male said.