Winter track gets head start on conditioning

Some returning members of last year’s winter track team run a workout with friends.  Many upperclassman were eager to get back into the season for the season for the social side.  Some freshmen are also excited to try indoor track for first time.

McDaniel's Photography

Some returning members of last year’s winter track team run a workout with friends. Many upperclassman were eager to get back into the season for the season for the social side. Some freshmen are also excited to try indoor track for first time.

As temperatures cool down, winter track is starting up.  Starting on Oct. 6, members of the winter indoor track team have been seen starting to condition for the upcoming season.

“It was just a few upperclassmen that wanted to get started. It’s not official but anyone is welcome to come,” senior Tori Swart said.

Unfortunately, the practice was fairly impromptu, which left some newer members to the team a bit confused.

“I didn’t hear any announcements about the conditioning, or I might have gone,” freshman Zoe Goldenberg said.

Another source of confusion is that many winter track athletes simply use the indoor season to stay in shape for spring sports and the social aspect.  This means that few are looking to condition for a sport that they use  as conditioning.

Fall sports are also conflicting with these conditioning sessions in that many have not yet concluded.  For many that enjoy the indoor track season, fall sports practices and games hold them back from joining the conditioning sessions.

“I thought that the point of winter track was to condition for spring track. I don’t understand why they would condition for that, and I would have had soccer anyway,” freshman Alex Patton said.

For more information on the effects of conditioning on the body, visit this site.