Creative writing club pens NaNoWriMo novels

Jenna Bao

After each writing session, participants can go to the website to update their word count, track other people’s progress, and discuss with other writers. It is a good opportunity to meet new people with similar pursuits. However, “The website is really hard to navigate,” freshman Alayna Meyers said. Photo courtesy of Jenna Bao

For high school students across the country, November may just be a dragging stepping-stone from trick-or-treating to winter break, but for over 300,000 creative writers-it is National Novel Writing Month.

NaNoWriMo challenges aspiring authors to complete a 50,000 word rough draft between Nov. 1 and midnight on the 30th. To complete this goal, one would need to write at least 1,667 words per day.

“It’s really hard, but I think it’s going to pay off,” freshman Alayna Meyers said.

The goal of the NaNoWriMo organization is to give writers a push to get started and make time, not excuses. At the end of the month, participants should ideally continue working on their pieces and ultimately pursue publication.

“NaNoWriMo is a really great opportunity for young writers; it’s a first step towards publication,” junior Bedika Pathak said.

Dozens of manuscripts begun during NaNoWriMo have been traditionally published, with even more self-published. Well-known ones include “Cinder” by Marissa Meyers, “Anna and the French Kiss” by Stephanie Perkins, and “Water for Elephants” by Sarah Gruen.

The group works hard to encourage writers to keep going during writer’s block or rough patches. They provide “pep talks” from famous authors like Kami Garcia, co-author of “The Caster Chronicles”, and Veronica Roth, author of the “Divergent” series.

Also, there are forums to get inspiration, ways to contact fellow writers in each state/region, and badges to reward meeting certain goals. The creative writing club encourages members to participate, and is another good place to share and discuss.

According to the NaNoWriMo website, “Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought fleetingly about writing a novel.”

Visit the NaNoWriMo website to learn more or take the challenge.

30-30-30 Jenna Bao