Preparing for new school year

Eighth graders visited on Tuesday, touring around the school and visiting various classes in session. This is just the start of a long list of activities preparing students in grades eight through 11 for the upcoming school year.

The high school forum occurred on Wednesday at the Junior High, when a group of high school seniors shared their academic and extracurricular experiences with the incoming high school students and their parents.

Also this week, tonight is the Academic Fair for all students who will be at the high school next year. It is from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

“I might be going just to see all the new courses and opportunities that are being offered next year,” freshman Jane Lundgren said.

There will be an informational meeting until 7:15 p.m. when administrators will present the changes being made and information on the new learning groups and internship programs. The Academic Fair will follow this.

The event is a chance for parents and students to learn about various academic and elective courses that will be offered, marking the start of the scheduling season.

There will be various students and faculty for each course that will answer any questions people may have.

“I’m still unsure about what classes I’m going to take next year, but hopefully this will help me choose,” Lundgren said.

There will be meetings with the guidance counselors in the weeks following, depending on grade level. Sophomores meet during the week of Feb. 9, freshmen meet the week of Feb. 23, and juniors meet the week of March 2.

The eighth graders will meet the week of March 23.

“Hopefully the meetings with the guidance counselors will clear up any issues I have with my classes for next year,” Lundgren said.