Students create memories with Memory Project

Adhiti+Chundur%2C+11%2C+shows+off+her+Memory+Project+portrait.+The+organization+helps+kids+in+need+connect+through+art+and+let+them+know+they+are+valued.+The+Memory+Project+meets+in+room+Room+146+every+Monday+from+2%3A30+p.m.+to+4%3A00+p.m.+

Adhiti Chundur

Adhiti Chundur, 11, shows off her Memory Project portrait. The organization helps kids in need connect through art and let them know they are valued. The Memory Project meets in room Room 146 every Monday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

How can you create art while giving back?

The Memory Project is a program that is new to Sycamore this year. It allows students to receive photos of children in need and create handmade portraits to let the children know they are valued.

The children range in ages and come from third world countries. This year, the subjects originate from places such as orphanages in Colombia and refugee camps in Syria.

Being in difficult situations and not having the ability to take photographs can be hard, and having a personal portrait can create memories and remind them that they are loved.

The program is led by Jiin Woo, 11, and is being done this year instead of Windows of Hope.

“The Ronald McDonald House has received too many windows over the past couple years, which is a great problem to have. Now students can enjoy a new service project that is still focused on art,” said Thea Ferdinand, 11.

The Memory Project will have multiple installments throughout this year, allowing students to participate at any times they are available.

Students work on portraits in Room 146 every Monday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Students sign in and out each week to receive volunteer hours for their work.

“I think this is one of the most beneficial clubs for art in the school. Not only is it able to provide students with an opportunity to express their creativity, but it is also for a good cause.

“The three-year-old I have to paint, Miguel Santiago, is adorable, and I feel so honored to paint him,” said Melinda Looney-Ho, 11.

The organization hand delivers the portraits to the children and creates videos of their joyful reactions to receiving these personal, handmade works of art.