Unmasking culture

French Club celebrates Mardi Gras

CREATE.+Sophomores+Christine+Zou%2C+Valerie+Timofeyev%2C+Samruddhi+Ubhe%2C+and+Anushri+Menon+make+their+own+masks+and+enjoy+some+traditional+Mardi+Gras+King+Cake.+After+everyone+finishes+their+masks%2C+Mrs.+Lesley+Chapman%2C+the+french+teacher%2C+holds+a+contest+to+find+the+best+and+most+creative+ones.+This+year+sophomores+Ellie+Armstrong+and+Menon+won+the+contest%2C+winning+a+Toblerone+bar+each.+

Jenna Bao

CREATE. Sophomores Christine Zou, Valerie Timofeyev, Samruddhi Ubhe, and Anushri Menon make their own masks and enjoy some traditional Mardi Gras King Cake. After everyone finishes their masks, Mrs. Lesley Chapman, the french teacher, holds a contest to find the best and most creative ones. This year sophomores Ellie Armstrong and Menon won the contest, winning a Toblerone bar each.

Mardi Gras was on Tues. Feb. 28, and people all around the world celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent for Catholics. The French Club had its own party, playing French games and eating king cake.

“I have been in French Club for three years now and I always look forward to our meetings. The Mardi Gras party is fun because it lets me practice my French while playing games with friends, so it doesn’t really feel like learning,” said Ryan Tufts, 11.

The term Mardi Gras comes from the French words “Fat Tuesday,” which represents the last night of feasting and riches before the fasting season of Lent. With France holding a lot of influence throughout the world, the tradition has spread.

New Orleans has a festival each year and has gained popularity, mainly due to French influence in the French Quarter of the city. Millions of people gather to wear elaborate masks and costumes and witness the multiple parades that occur.

“On top of playing games, we make our own Mardi Gras masks each year. I think it’s fun because it is a nice way to end a stressful school day, and it’s fun to get as creative and weird as I can,” Tufts said.

The French Club has had multiple meetings this year, including petanque, gingerbread house-making, and a French picnic, and will have a couple more this year.

They meet once a month to speak French and immerse themselves into French culture.

“I absolutely love the French language and culture. I think it is very important to take a foreign language because it allows you to understand a different way of living and become more accepting to people from all walks of life,” Tufts said.