‘The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.’ -Dr. Seuss

Hannah Lee

FLIPPING PAGES. Students spend time relaxing with a book such as the class read “Winter’s Bone” or a choice book. Students are allowed to sit wherever they want- outside or in a comfy chair. “I just finished ‘When You Reach Me’ by Rebecca Stead, and I might start a new book,” said Jenny Lu, 11.

The benefits of reading a little every day is known to many, but not a lot of people manage to fit time to settle down and read a few pages into their busy lives.

SHS tried to bring more reading into the school by enforcing the policy of 15 minutes of reading in ACE Bell, but it was never quite successful. Students typically were on their phones or doing homework.

Similarly, but more successfully, students have independent reading time every Tuesday and Thursday in American Literature. Although it is similar to the ACE Bell attempt, it can be easier to focus on reading and enjoying books.

Perhaps this is because everyone is reading and not sneaking on their phones and also because it is not right after eating lunch and chatting with friends.

“Independent reading gives me time to read books that I want to,” said Jenny Lu, 11.

Independent reading is around 12 minutes and students are allowed to read any book they wish: a book from home, a book from the teacher’s library, or the book students are reading in class.

“Independent reading is nice because it gives me time in the day to just relax and escape for a couple of minutes,” said Adam Kossen, 11.

Recently, American Literature students have just finished “Winter’s Bone” by Daniel Woodrell. If behind on the reading or wanting to read that night’s pages earlier to save time, some students read Woodrell’s novel during reading time.

“I really enjoy having that freedom to choose my own books,” Lu said.