Students ace the PSAT by practicing

Sycamore Community Schools

THE WINNERS. 19 students of SHS get into the national merit semifinals. The struggle turned out successful for these students as they make it through. “I can’t wait to see what Sycamore students come up with next year,” said Grant Bruner, 12.

19 SHS students made it to the Nation Merit semifinals, but, was it easy? Maybe, maybe not. The victorious students were asked how they managed to ace the test, and these are some tips that might help you too if you are taking it this year.

One semifinalist, senior Grant Bruner challenged himself through National History Day (NHD).

“[Mrs. Nimeskern’s] guidance was invaluable in helping me through the process of writing a paper, and succeeding in NHD in general” Bruner said. 

I never really set aside hours to practice. My approach was to take about five to 10 minutes when I could, and do some practice,” said Madeleine Weiss, 12, a semifinalist from SHS.

The National Merit semifinalists agree that the booklet you get for the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) is also a helpful tool.

“…I did receive a booklet a couple weeks before I took the PSAT. It helped me a little bit because it had the test format, as well as a couple practice problems for each section that I did the night before the test,” said Mallory Hall, 12, a semi-finalist from SHS.

The National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT) is the other name for PSAT. It not only helps students prepare for the SAT but also, provides them with an opportunity to get a National Merit Scholarship.

So, if you are thinking of getting in the PSAT/NMSQT, then make sure to visit College Board or National Merit for more information.

Sources: