Remote Ruckus

Teachers on parenting during another lockdown

RUCKUS.The COVID-19 virus has made many things in school a lot more difficult and complicated, for both online and face-to-face learners. With the threat of another shutdown looming over us, face-to-face teachers that have young children have been dreading the fact that they might have to start teaching online again with an even busier schedule. Click on the link in the bio to see a few examples of some of the ways teachers with young kids may try to  balance everything out with their teaching  and parenting schedules.

Creative Commons

RUCKUS.The COVID-19 virus has made many things in school a lot more difficult and complicated, for both online and face-to-face learners. With the threat of another shutdown looming over us, face-to-face teachers that have young children have been dreading the fact that they might have to start teaching online again with an even busier schedule. Click on the link in the bio to see a few examples of some of the ways teachers with young kids may try to balance everything out with their teaching and parenting schedules.

Imagine this: You wake up for your virtual first bell and connect to your online history class. You hear a toddler crying. You wait patiently and instead of seeing your teacher with papers ready to begin the lesson of the day, you see her chasing a diaperless toddler.

At Sycamore, students had a choice between learning face-to-face and learning virtually at home, with each different way coming with its own set of challenges. Faced with the threat of another school closure, face-to-face high school students have been thinking about their lives if Sycamore goes virtual, but is anyone thinking about how virtual teaching might cause a ruckus for teachers who have young children that are also forced to learn from home?

After speaking with a few teachers from Maple Dale Elementary, I collected several details about the challenges teachers might face while having young children at home during their remote teaching time. One staff member explains that “The most challenging part is dedicating time to all the little people who need my help.” She worries that having to divide her time to support her young learners while simultaneously teaching her own students may be too much. While she’s ready to accept any challenge that comes her way, she can’t help but feel some anxiety.

Another elementary teacher is keeping her fingers crossed that daycares don’t close. If her three-year-old ends up at home, finding last minute child care could pose problems. However, she also admitted, “I feel like I have to change my mindset and accept that it won’t be perfect. Honestly, I think all of the parents who sent their kids back to school face to face understand family life.” However, she too will be juggling two full-time jobs if schools and child care go remote.

Knowing that teachers are skilled problem solvers, they are certainly working out plans to manage any and every scenario. Another teacher explained that “If we were to go remote again this year, each kid in my home will need their own space while still being easily accessible if I ever need to step in and help.” 

To avoid the challenges of remote learning and teaching, people are being urged to follow the safety protocols in place. Make sure you wear a mask, wash your hands frequently, and maintain social distance. Let’s do our best to avoid the ruckus that 100 percent remote learning could cause.