Varsity Aves swimmers kick start their season

This swimmer is diving off the block at the start of the 200 I.M. The beginning of the race is just as important as the middle or end it could “make you or break you”. Every second counts so swimmers spend much of their time perfecting this ever so crucial part of the race.
This swimmer is diving off the block at the start of the 200 I.M. The beginning of the race is just as important as the middle or end it could “make you or break you.” Every second counts so swimmers spend much of their time perfecting this ever so crucial part of the race. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

These elite 37 train every day after school from 2:40 to 4:30 and espier to become champions. Practice must be taken seriously and swimmers must push themselves to their limits to be able to achieve their swimming goals.

The swimmers goals are based on where they are now (time wise) and what is possible to accomplish with intense training.

All swimmers on the team have the same expectations. Regardless of their grade, they are expected to show up to every practice and put forth 110 percent effort. No exceptions.

“Being a freshman on the Varsity team is kind of scary at first because you feel like you have something to prove, but I like it and see it as a chance to get to know some of the upperclassmen” Jory Gould, 9.

The competition is tough and individual swimmers have to compete among each other for spots in events. But they are still a team and root for each other during their events, congratulate each other after a good swim and try to pick each other up after a disappointing race.

So in the end they are more than a team they are a family. And this family is preparing for another successful swim season.