Senior signings a’plenty for SHS athletes

Ben Gunn, 12, fields a ground ball. Gunn will continue playing baseball in college, signing with NAIA school Miami Hamilton this past week.  Photo Credit: McDaniels Photography
Ben Gunn, 12, fields a ground ball. Gunn will continue playing baseball in college, signing with NAIA school Miami Hamilton this past week.
Photo Credit: McDaniels Photography

This year, SHS has seen an upwards spike in college signings. Sports such as basketball, volleyball, football, and baseball have had multiple players continuing on in college.

While Sycamore is in the very nationally respected Greater Miami Conference (GMC), it is still extremely rare for an athlete to sign with a college program.

As tradition dictates, the signings were held during seventh bell for all the school to see.

“I enjoy watching the signings. It brings some abnormality to the school day that we would not normally get,” said Evan Weisser, 9.

On Tuesday May 20th, baseball led the way with their three captains signing on to various colleges. Sean Clayton, Grant Price, and Ben Gunn, will play ball in college. Clayton and Gunn will attend schools in the NAIA division, and Price in division III.

“It was really fun to watch the baseball and bowling signings. It is really good to know that our athletes are doing great things and bringing a great name to the school in college,” said Bradley Bolotin, 9.

Also, bowler Joey Morris signed on to continue bowling at Wright State University this next year.

The previous week, basketball star Mitchell Hill signed with division I Winthrop of the Big South Conference, and Laura Cole signed with Emory University for volleyball.