Samsung to limit amount of new phones

This is just one of 52 phones that Samsung came out with this year. The Galaxy Note 4 (left) has a very large touch screen and comes with a stylus. It is said to be fast and reliable by users.

MCT Campus

Samsung’s head of investor relations, Robert Yi, recently told analysts that the company would trim the number of phones it puts out by as much as 30%.

“It’s good that Samsung will stop their production by 30%. That will allow more time for them to make a better, higher quality product,” sophomore Jacob Grabowski said.

Samsung has released 52 new, stylish, unique smartphones in 2014 alone. In the same year, HTC only brought 23 new phones to the consumer market, Nokia topped off at 20, Motorola with 10 handsets, and Apple with only two new phones.

Numbers clearly reveal that the strategy isn’t working. Samsung’s capitol plummeted by 60% last quarter, mostly dragged down by deteriorating top-of-the-line Galaxy-branded smartphones.

“I have an iPhone 6 and I love it. It’s a high quality product that suits all of my needs. Maybe Samsung should focus on quality over quantity,” freshman Emma Balk said.

Though many of the 52 devices are aimed at specific markets, Samsung has also made some curious smartphone choices this year.

“Samsung needs to focus on putting out higher quality products instead of coming out with enough phones for you to have a new one every week. That’s just ridiculous,” sophomore Nick Wade said.