Students compete in Cincinnati Zoo’s art contest

Cincinnati Zoo

POP GOES THE EASEL. AP Studio Art seniors Thea Ferdinand and Serhiy Royter will participate in the Cincinnati Zoo’s Plein Air Contest. This is the first year of the competition, which will take place from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1. Students will draw animals from around the zoo and have the opportunity to win prize money and recognition.

Lions, tigers, and art, oh my! Seniors Thea Ferdinand and Serhiy Royter have been chosen to participate in a drawing contest at the Cincinnati Zoo from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1.

Ferdinand and Royter are avid AP Studio Art students and were made aware of the competition by art teacher Kathy Ferguson.

They took a timed drawing assessment around the school to be selected as the contest allows limited participation.

“Forty high school art students from Greater Cincinnati will compete in the first annual Zoo Plein Air Contest,” according to Cincinnati Art Club’s website.

Plein air is a French expression meaning “in the open air” used to describe painting outdoors as the high school artists will be creating art directly from life as they travel around the zoo for models and inspiration.

“There is a certain spontaneity and honesty that comes out of observational drawing, and I am super excited to experiment with that organic interaction that occurs between the artist and the subject,” Ferdinand said.

The two will compete separately by drawing animals in varying sections of the zoo based upon not-so-still life observations. Their art will be judged on anatomical accuracy and creativity.

Prizes range from earning thousands of dollars to having art displayed as a fixture at the zoo, but the recognition of these artists along with the reward of giving back to their community is priceless.

“I am so honored to be participating in this contest! Ever since I can remember drawing and art has been my passion.

“Something about taking what exists in reality and reworking and reimagining what that could be on a page or canvas gives me a true sense of freedom,” Ferdinand said.

Cincinnati Zoo Art 2017 Dates

Sept. 30 – Oct. 1: Plein Air Contest
Oct. 6, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Artist Reception and Exhibition
Oct. 7, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Awards Ceremony and Exhibition