Soccer kicks into gear

McDaniel’s Photography

SCORE. Center defensive player Lexi Schroeder plays against Hamilton’s team. Next year she is going to try out for Varsity.

Girls JV soccer plays until mid-October, with home and away games for JVA and JVB. This year, due to the high influx of freshmen, there had to be two JV teams, even as some made Varsity.

Just as college and professional teams do, both JV and Varsity practice on grass fields at SHS, then play on the turf for games. That is where SHS students can find the home games, and the next home game is October 7 at 11:00 a.m.

Freshman Lexi Schroeder has been playing for six years and is now on JVA. She plays center defense.

“My brother played soccer when he was little, so I wanted to also, and I kept playing because I loved it so much,” Schroeder said.

The team consists of 16 girls on JVA, including Schroeder, and their head coach is Mr. Brian Fallon. There are assistant adult coaches as well as student assistant coaches for the JV teams.

“I am looking forward to being on Varsity and being with a group of amazing girls,” said Claire Henry, left forward, 9.

For more on girl’s soccer, click here.