Harper Lee to publish second book

MCT Campus

Harper Lee’s only published book is “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Despite it being her only book it has caused her wild success and has become a classic. Students read the book in their eighth grade classes.

It is almost impossible to not have heard of the famous novel “To Kill a Mockingbird.” At the top of most high school reading lists and with more than 30 million copies sold the famous novel is considered a classic.

“To Kill a Mockingbird,” published in 1960, has been author Harper Lee’s only published novel until now. Fifty years after the book’s release Lee, now 88, is publishing a second book called “Go Set a Watchman.”

“In the mid-1950s, I completed a novel called ‘Go Set a Watchman’…I hadn’t realized [the original book] had survived…I am humbled and amazed that this will now be published after all these years,” Lee said in a statement from her publisher.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” tells the story of Scout Finch from age 6 to 9 and what she observes of her family and neighbors, as well as on an event that occurred near her southern hometown in the 1930’s.

Due to Mockingbird’s wild success, Lee won the Pulitzer Prize and the book was made into beloved movie for which Gregory Peck won the Oscar for best actor for his portrayal of Scouts father Atticus Finch.

The new novel takes place in the 1950’s despite the fact Lee wrote the book prior to “To Kill a Mockingbird”, and returns to the story of Scout Finch. She is now full grown and returns home to Maycomb, Alabama.

“[Scout] is forced to grapple with issues both personal and political as she tries to understand her father’s attitude toward society, and her own feelings about the place where she was born and spent her childhood,” the press release said.

Lee’s novel “Go Set a Watchman” will be published July fourteenth.

“I don’t think the sequel will live up to the original. I don’t think it is necessary,” freshman Amanda Jenson said.

To see the trailer for “To Kill a Mockingbird” the movie click here