SHS students’ eggs soar through skies

Max Torem

After final modifications were made to his device, Jonah Kim was ready to see it in action. He used the entire meter of tape that he was given along with three pieces of paper and 20 straws. His device has survived falls up to three meters and he will test it tomorrow for four meters and the Commons drop.

Today and tomorrow, students in Ms. Julie Haverkos’s accelerated physics classes are doing the egg drop challenge. Students are excited and working hard to make a gadget that will allow an egg to fall to the ground safely.

Although it seems rather easy, students had a few extra hoops to jump through for this challenge. They were allowed one meter of tape and their choice between 50 straws or 5 sheets of paper (or some combination of the two).

“I thought we would have enough material but the lack of tape was severe. It really taught us how to make sure we only used exactly what we needed and noting more than that,” said Tyler Hess, 12.

They were also only given a one day notice and just 30-40 minutes to build  their gadgets. Students wasted no time getting started on their build.

“My partner and I began building within two minutes of being in class today. We got straight to work, and I think it paid off because we finished our build and had spare time to perfect our device,” said Jonah Kim, 12.

The challenge itself was to create a contraption that could save an egg from a one meter, two meter, or three meter drop, and eventually a four meter fall. Points were awarded for each meter your egg survived.

Students are also being given the opportunity to drop their eggs from the upper level into the commons for extra credit.

“We didn’t get to the extra credit challenge yet, but I think we will be able to get there tomorrow, and I am pretty confident that my device will survive the challenge,” said Kim.