Aves Theatre springs into action

Dan Ledbetter

DAFFODILS. Last year’s spring production was “Big Fish.” The cast was comparable in size to that of “Joseph.” The big spectacle in the show was a curtain covered with hundreds of handmade daffodils.

Now that the two fall plays (“Game of Tiaras” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”) have been completed, Aves Theatre is moving on to their musicals for the year. The musicals were cast the week of November 27.

Both musicals have been put on before by Aves Theatre. It is interesting because those who have been watching Aves Theatre for the past ten years or so may remember seeing the upcoming productions.

The first musical is the largest production of the year in terms of cast size. Historically, the spring musical has been the largest production, so this is a change from previous years. The winter musical is “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.”

“I’m very excited to be a part of ‘Joseph.’ I think it is going to be a fun show that will showcase a lot of talented performers,” said Maddy Weiss, 11.

Students at SHS may remember Joseph because the last time it was put on, current SHS students were of the appropriate age to be featured in the children’s choir. This is the second time some students will get to perform in the show.

“I was in the children’s choir when I was younger, so it is really cool that one of my first shows will also be one of my last shows,” said Shayna Kling, 11.

The winter musical has a large cast comprised of students who will be featured in various ways. While some may have lead or principal roles, other students are featured as dancers and ensemble members.
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” will be performed February 1-3.

The spring show, “Into the Woods,” features a smaller cast. The show has an ensemble cast, which means many performers have roughly the same importance. It will be performed over two weekends: April 13, 14, 21, and 22.

“’Into the Woods’ is going to be a lot of fun. Since it has a somewhat smaller cast, I think it is going to be a really great experience, and it will give all of the actors a chance to improve,” said Adam Levine, 11.

Also, the annual Improv show was this last weekend on December 8 and 9.

When tickets are available for purchase for the musicals, they will be here.