April 2018 Columns: Remembering Columbine, paper books

OPINION:

April 20 means a lot to society. It is 420, the numerical code for marijuana. It is also Adolf Hitler’s birthday. But most importantly, it is the 19th anniversary of the first major school shooting at Columbine High School.

At the time, this shooting had the highest number of deaths and injuries ever recorded at a school, with 13 deaths. The event irrevocably changed the community of Littleton, CO. The school is still open, but closes on April 20 each year.

In memory of these 13 students and teachers, students across America walked out to protest how they do not feel any more safe in schools than outside of them.

How can anyone feel safe with so few limitations on who can buy a semi-automatic rifle?

The walkout says that students are intelligent adults who recognize that they must protest to be protected in their schools, to show legislators that this issue is not going away, and that students will not sit docile as their peers are murdered.

Now, there will always be students in any school who use the opportunity of any walkout, pep rally, or even bathroom break to skip school. It is an inevitable part of school that teachers cannot be hawks staring at students all day to make them sit and stay.

But, this walkout is not about marijuana or anything other than students fighting for their right to be safe.

Furthermore, the walkout on April 20 is not in support of taking drugs. Students want to be safe in their schools, and there is no possible way to guarantee safety without gun control.

The walkout sends a message to legislators to get started on gun legislation because it is not a partisan policy. It is a moral policy.

The connection to marijuana or (seemingly) politics should not deter anyone from advocating for gun control on April 20 or after.

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT: 

Technology is taking over the world. E-readers such as Kindles, Nooks, and iPads are becoming the new books.

When you think of reading a book, the first thing that comes to my mind is the new book smell, followed by crisp pages getting turned. But when you read on an E-reader, you lose all of that and the chance of not actually being able to read because your device is dead.

I had a Nook a couple of years ago, and in the moment I loved it, until one day it would not turn on. I tried charging it, calling Barnes & Noble, and nothing worked. After I bought this book, I could not even read it.

I do have to admit, using an E-Reader is more environmentally friendly. You are not using as much paper, but in my opinion reading it defeats the principle of reading a book.

Before high school, I always had this idea that reading was a fun, non-electronic activity. But when I started high school, the amount of unnecessary reading, or the reading that was just so boring strayed me away from this idea.

Now when I am given the opportunity to read a book on my own, I would rather just watch TV.

If this is the case, if I do decide to read and I would read on an E-Reader, I would be doing anything but reading.

The light of the screen is distracting, and all of the other apps are much more tempting than reading. But if I had an actual book, the distractions would never come.

Some students even read on their smart phones. The aftermath is the same as an E-reader.

While there are pros and cons to each side, we can all come to a consensus that reading is reading, and no matter which way you choose to do it, you are feeding your brain.