Cincinnati high school seniors explore Poland, Israel

MOTL, March of the Living, will always make for a spiritual trip for hundreds of thousands of high school seniors across the world. Participants come from various geographical areas besides the United States such as Panama, Turkey, and Mexico.

This fascinating two-week trip takes student to Poland to learn about the Holocaust. While in Poland, they visit Auschwitz on Holocaust Remembrance Day.  The students take a two-mile march from Auschwitz to Birkenau, the largest concentration camp built by the Nazis.

The trip this took place from April 12th and April 26th. Comprising the Cincinnati Delegation were 21 Cincinnati high school students and one from Sycamore, senior Andrea Goldstein.

“I was most looking forward to getting to know all the people going on the trip,” said Goldstein. “It’s such a unique experience that we won’t get to share with anyone except for each other.”

In addition to the concentration camps and the march itself, they also visited memorial sites like the Majdanek Memorial, a former concentration camp. Though it still is in the same condition as over 70 years ago, it is filled with museum like artifacts and monuments.

After the Poland portion of March of the Living, the delegation finished their trip with a week in Israel that was fun, relaxing, and at some points spiritual.  In Israel participants rode camels, toured several historic cities, walked Mount Hertzel, and were able to experience a light show at the Tower of David.

“I decided to go on the trip because there was no way I could turn down another chance to visit Israel,” said Goldstein. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get to be with tens of thousands of kids from around the world.”

When Jewish students become eligible to participate in March of the Living, they are highly encouraged to go on the trip because it can be a life-changing trip.  

“The March of the Living trip is a lot different than any other trip,” said Cincinnati delegation leader Abby Solomon. “You feel a lot more connected to your heritage and come out of the week in Poland with a completely different mindset about Judaism.”