• Thank You for a Wonderful School Year! We'll See You Back in August!

• Summer Break May 26-Aug. 16

Fashion For The Cure struts down runway

SHOW STOPPERS. Sophomores Samantha Fernandez and Jordan Pescovitz strut down the runaway during the 11th annual Fashion For The Cure. In 2014, Sycamore teamed up with the Dragonfly Foundation permanently, after the need for supporting childhood cancer patients and their families increased; their goal for the 2017 show was $30,000.  “The 14 girls on the committee worked very hard to make this event possible; I am very proud of all of them as well as the student designers,” said Deborah Klempt, FFTC staff adviser.

SHOW STOPPERS. Sophomores Samantha Fernandez and Jordan Pescovitz strut down the runaway during the 11th annual Fashion For The Cure. In 2014, Sycamore teamed up with the Dragonfly Foundation permanently, after the need for supporting childhood cancer patients and their families increased; their goal for the 2017 show was $30,000. “The 14 girls on the committee worked very hard to make this event possible; I am very proud of all of them as well as the student designers,” said Deborah Klempt, FFTC staff adviser.

McDaniel's Photography

McDaniel's Photography

The 2017 Fashion For The Cure (FFTC) was a huge success. They raised $22,000. FFTC generates an increased awareness here at school for children with cancer and those in need. FFTC pairs up with the Dragonfly Foundation, to raise money for children with cancer. The foundation was started by Christine Neitzke and her friend Ria Davidson after Christine’s youngest son was diagnosed with cancer.

There were a couple of activities on the Fri., Feb. 24 during school before the actual fashion show which was February 25. There was music during lunch, but the stars of the “pre-show” were junior Elena Berry and sophomore Peyton Gilhart, who donated their hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

“This is my third time donating my hair, and every time I donate, I feel wonderful, and I’m so excited to grow my hair out again, so I can help another person,” Gilhart said.

The FFTC committee worked hard all year long to make it a spectacular event They met every Wednesday since January during ACE bell to plan for the event.

They organized fundraisers, meeting and contacting companies such as Bridal and Formal to donate things such as gift cards for raffles. as well as selecting the models.

“Being a part of such an event that benefits such an amazing foundation was very meaningful to me, and to see those kids on stage smiling and having fun made me really happy,” said Abby Pescovitz, 10.

Models were selected from each grade by submitting a form to walk down the runway for a good cause, alongside the Dragonfly kids, the designers in fashion class, and even some teachers. There was also a special dance featuring the kids and the Flyerettes, art auctions, raffle baskets, and dresses designed by the students in fashion design class to add to the event.

“When I started working on Fashion For The Cure, I knew it was going to make an impact, but I did not realize how rewarding it was going to be to see the happiness we brought to the Dragonfly kids and their families. It is definitely a special program and I look forward to continuing to work for such a great cause,” said Phoebe Zawatsky, 10.